Looking for fun things to do in Bozeman in the winter besides skiing? Discover these other great activities to try during our sunny winter days. (Be sure to look up Covid-19 restrictions before planning your trip.)
- Ice climbing is just as popular among enthusiasts in the winter and Bozeman has some of the best in the country. A great place to start is with the folks at the Ice Climbing Alliance (ICA). They offer clinics for beginner, intermediate and advanced climbers.
- Bozeman Ice Festival: The ICA presents this super fun, week-long festival each year. It’s a chance for ice climbing enthusiasts to get together and share stories over food, drinks and films. Unfortunately, this year’s festival was cancelled due to Covid, but check back regularly for updates on the 2022 calendar.
- If you’re a beginner, a great place to start is Crosscut Mountain Sports Center. They have equipment rentals, lessons and 9-10K of narrow-gauge trails that are specially groomed for snowshoeing and fat biking. The terrain varies and the views are breathtaking as they go from lodgepole pines and aspen groves to open meadows.
- If you know what you’re doing, the Bozeman Convention and Visitors Bureau has a great blog post on the best places to go snowshoeing in Bozeman.
- The City of Bozeman maintains three ice rinks for residents and visitors to use for free. If you need rentals, check out Chalet Sports on Main Street. The warming huts are currently closed due to Covid. But there are outdoor benches and port-a-johns located at each rink.
- Beall Park: 415 N. Bozeman
- Anderson Pavilion (at Bogert): 325 S. Church
- South Side Park: College and 5th Avenues
Tips for Safe Winter Traveling
- Winter traveling through the mountains is serious business, so be sure to take these important precautions:
- Do a full maintenance check-up on your car
- Have snow chains ready for your tires
- Check road conditions
- Drive SLOW
- Avoid driving at night. Black ice and wildlife are more prevalent after dark.
- Pack warm blankets/coats, extra food, flashlight, batteries, first-aid kit and a tow rope
Check out my previous posts on snowmobiles/snow coaches, best ski resorts and cross country trails in and around Bozeman. If you have any questions about planning your next trip to Bozeman, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.